CollegeJersey.com

Friday, October 12, 2007

Week 7 Preview, Part II: I Hate College Football

Regular readers of this blog will know that while I cover ACC football, I am first and foremost a Florida State Seminole....and apparently I was irretrievably spoiled by attending good ol' State during it's best four-year football run in school history at that time (1991-1995: 44-5-1 record, 1 national title). So naturally, after viewing last night's ugliness in Winston-Salem (particularly that 2nd half which saw FSU commit 496 moronic penalties and gain just 31 total yards until the last two minutes), I'm apt to projectile vomit without warning at anything that even hints of college football right now. As such, that means my heart is not into finishing up the weekly preview in my usual manner, and for that I apologize. It won't happen again, since I will never again get my hopes up about the Seminoles until the great old man takes his leave.

Anyway, my quick picks of the remaining three ACC matchups this Saturday:

Boston College at Notre Dame, 3:30pm- The Vatican Bowl resumes with BC in the best shape they've been in in 60 years, while the Irish are in one of the deepest, darkest pits they've ever known, regardless of that win over UCLA last week. Matt Ryan is now the quiet leader in the Heisman race and it's now time to amp up the stats. Eagles 41 - Irish 14

South Carolina at North Carolina, 3:30pm- An interesting mid-season SEC/ACC clash, but one that is unfortunately a fairly significant mismatch. The Gamecock defense is too much for the Heels and Spurrier will have a few tricks up his sleeve for his old Sunshine State recruiting rival Butch Davis. Gamecocks 33 - Tar Heels 17

Connecticut at Virginia, 3:30pm- UVA in non-conference games makes me queasy (see: Wyoming and Middle Tennessee, and all non-ACC games last year), but then there is their rout of Pitt to consider.......nope, still queasy. Everyone's beating up on the Wannstache this year. What helps the Hoos is that the Huskies' toughest opponent to date has been Akron (#79 in that nerd Sagarin's ratings), and that UConn barely scraped by Temple a few weeks ago. When in doubt, go with the home team, especially when they're more battle-hardened. Cavaliers 28 - Huskies 23



These are the times that try Noles' souls

No comments: